Sunday, July 26, 2009

Another SI cover for the books...


Getting onto the cover of sports Illustrated is a rush, even when it's a regional cover that only part of the country will see. I appreciate so much the patience and time Coach Lane Kiffin allowed me as this was a pretty technical shoot. Emily Rose Bennett and I literally had to bury him in lighting equipment and foam core to make this one work. Lighting is everything when it comes to portrait work, and it can be said that it is the most important thing on a cover shoot. The content must be there as well, don't get me wrong, but when you pull in this close to a human being, you want to be on it in terms of the overall look you want. This man is intense, so I was so happy that they chose one of these as the looser images just didn't convey that at all. This was shot with the 5D MII (of course), 85mm f/1.2L at f/1.4, and it might surprise you to know that this was all shot in live view on a tripod using only hot lights. Video has really pushed me into using hot lights more than ever before and I feel like sometimes using constant light sources can be much better than using strobes. Yes, I just said that. There is more of a creamy sort of mellow and organic look the contrast has when using hot lights. This was shot primarily with Arri 150W fresnels. i love those things because I can shoot all the fast Canon glass wide open and really take advantage of the zoom feature of the heads as you can move from spot to wash and control the contrast really well that way. Shooting like this reminds me of doing 4x5 portraits back in the day. working in live view on a portrait shoot is much like that, though the results are actually much better. I cannot shoot the 85mm f/1.2L wide open hand held very well--just too many frames are soft. Even the slightest movement of the frame can cause you to lose your focus easily. Also, DOF is so shallow with these 1.2 and 1.4 glass that you must manual focus AFTER you compose, so using the AF square in the middle will actually cause you to blow the shot every time. Anyways, I digress. It's great to be on the cover of SI, especially since I haven't really worked for the magazine on a regular basis since I was ordained back in 2007. I know a sting of e-mails will come over the next week or so as old friends find themselves getting their teeth cleaned at the dentist will pick it up and see that they went into the deepest part of the closet and pulled me out of mothballs for this one. I am greateful to Jeff Weig and Karri Stein for the assignment. Nice to know people still remember me up there in NYC. Kindest regards, pm-r.

1 comment:

JMB Photography said...

Congratulations, Patrick! The picture is awesome!!! You are definitely my mentor!